Obtaining a Violin
All students will need a violin that is the correct size (see Finding the Right Size Violin)
If you are lucky, perhaps you have a violin that is the correct size sitting at home somewhere*
- If the instrument has not been played in a while (or even if it has) check it over to see if it might need a visit to a local repairperson
- See "What to look for in a used violin" (link below) for some pictures of commonly needed repairs
- Most instruments come with these
- If one or more of the fine tuners on your violin do not work you should be prepared to replace them so the instrument can be tuned properly
- See "What to look for in a used violin" (link below) for some pictures of bows in good or poor working condition
- Check zippers, buckles & handles on cases. Pockets and compartments in the case can be VERY handy but are optional.
Should I rent or buy?
How much does a new violin cost?
What kind of violin should I buy?
Where can I buy a violin?
How much should I pay for a used violin?
What should I look for in a used violin?